Monday, January 21, 2013

Why JBU?

     I came to JBU mainly because they gave me the most money. I came to a Christian out of state college because I felt God leading me in that direction. My hometown in Colorado has a rather large university and it is also cheep for town residents but it isn't Christian. As I went through my Senior year in High school, I felt God tell me I needed to leave my family and head out on my own. I had grown dependent on others for my spiritual growth and God wanted me to be able to stand on my own two feet, albeit not without Him. God provided JBU as the perfect place for that.


      As to why I decided to pursue a college degree, it's simply because I need one for my career, a museum archivist and hopefully a professor. That is only true of my History degree though. I am also pursuing minors in Economics and Museum Studies because I enjoy those subject areas and not because I foresee any career advantage from them (though they definitely help).

      Finally, I learn because I want to. I have a thirst for knowledge in most subject fields  I want to understand art, technology, construction, math, chemistry, business  communications, etc. There are very few areas that I don't want to learn about. While History is the area of study I enjoy the most, I still want to branch out into other fields and learn. I partake in musicals and plays and I am even considering auditing a bible class. I'm also taking a class on Welsh that has no relation to my major except that the prof teaching it is a History prof.  If only I had more free time and could take classes on graphic design or accounting.  However, I can't stand the basics of any fields. I already have a base knowledge of most of these (hardly enough to account for a credit hour) but some core classes, like physical science  are just repetitions of the basics we learned in high school. While I'd love to take a class on geology or ecology, I despise relearning how mass is the amount of stuff one has or that velocity is speed plus direction. Probably the best non-major class I took here was Microeconomics. It was originally required before I switched majors, but I didn't drop it because I fell in love with the subject. I loved it so much, I am pursuing a minor in it now. So all that to say, I really enjoy learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment